Unmarried Parents’ Rights Lawyer in Cherry Hill, NJ

Experienced South Jersey Family Law Attorney Representing Your Rights Throughout Camden County, Burlington County and Gloucester County

It is a common misconception that unwed parents do not have the same parental rights as married parents. The reality is, New Jersey does not discriminate between married and unmarried parents when it comes to child support, custody and visitation. For unmarried parents, however, seeking these things on behalf of their children can seem especially challenging.

The best way to learn about your parental rights is to speak with an experienced family law attorney. I am Cherry Hill parental rights attorney Lois Garber Schwartz. With more than 35 years of family law experience, I represent both married and unmarried mothers and fathers in custodial and support matters throughout South Jersey.

Contact me, a South Jersey family law attorney, either online or call my law firm directly to schedule a free confidential consultation.

Child Custody And Visitation

As long as paternity has been established, single mothers and single fathers have the same custody and visitation rights to their children as divorcing couples. Unmarried parents can petition the court for sole custody, joint custody and visitation with their children. They can ask the court for assistance in handling parental alienation issues. They can request to relocate or try to prevent the other parent from leaving the state with the children.

Child Support

Child support for both unmarried and divorcing couples is governed by the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines. As long as paternity has been established, unmarried parents can petition the court for an appropriate order of child support, just as divorcing couples would.


In New Jersey, when an unmarried woman gives birth, an unmarried father has no rights to child custody, visitation or child support until paternity has been established. In many cases, both parents agree on the identity of the father, and the father voluntarily accepts parental rights and responsibilities. If either side disputes paternity, however, the court will order genetic testing to confirm the biological relationship.

South Jersey Unwed and Single Parents’ Rights Attorney

I provide intelligent advocacy and compassionate client service. Contact me, Cherry Hill parental rights lawyer or call to schedule an appointment to discuss your situation.

How Can We Help?

All fields are required to send the form.

    Lois Garber Schwartz

    1040 Kings Highway N., Suite 202

    Cherry Hill, NJ 08034


    Phone: 856-375-8989

    Fax: 856-482-0343