Parental Relocation

Parental Relocation Lawyer in Cherry Hill, NJ

Family Law Attorney Resolving Child Relocation and Custody Concerns in Camden County, Burlington County, Gloucester County and Throughout South Jersey

When parents decide to separate, it is common for one of them to want to move elsewhere, whether for a job or for any number of reasons. When children are involved, however, moving away can be a challenge. Whether you are a parent looking to relocate with your children or if you are opposing such a move, you need an experienced lawyer to protect your rights.

I am Cherry Hill parental relocation lawyer Lois Garber Schwartz, and I have more than 35 years of experience negotiating and litigating relocation cases in New Jersey. I know how emotional these cases can be. Child custody issues are perhaps the most important in all of family law. If you choose me as your lawyer, you can be confident that your concerns will be addressed and that I will fight for a positive outcome that is best for you and your children.

Contact me, a Camden County custody disputes attorney, online or call me to schedule a free confidential consultation.

Understanding Relocation of Children Within New Jersey

Generally speaking, relocation within the state of New Jersey does not require court approval or consent of the other parent. However, if the move is far enough, from the southern end to the northern end of the state, for example, the ability to fulfill parenting-time obligations may be impacted. In that case, a modification of the parenting schedule may be necessary.

Removal/Relocation of Children to Other States

A custodial parent cannot move to another state with the child unless the noncustodial parent gives consent. If there is no consent, court approval is required. To be allowed to move, the parent must first:

  • Show that he or she good faith reasons for the move (i.e., the move is not simply to deprive the other parent of contact with the child)
  • Present a realistic visitation arrangement
  • The child will not suffer from the move

As an experienced family law attorney, I understand that the time you have with your children is precious. Whether you are seeking to relocate or are opposing the move, I will work diligently to ensure your parental rights are protected. I will do my best to resolve the situation with as little emotional disruption to your child as possible.

Contact a Camden County Lawyer With Your Child Move-Away Concerns

Whether you are seeking to relocate with your child or are opposing a relocation, I can help. Contact me, a Cherry Hill parental relocation attorney, online or call me to schedule an appointment to discuss your situation.

How Can We Help?

All fields are required to send the form.

    Lois Garber Schwartz

    1040 Kings Highway N., Suite 202

    Cherry Hill, NJ 08034


    Phone: 856-375-8989

    Fax: 856-482-0343